Camden County Waste Water
1 Court Circle
Camdenton, Missouri 65020
Sewage Complaint Hotline Number
Click on a topic below to find out more information
Camden County On-Site Septic System
Permits are required for new construction, replacement of old septic systems (tank & laterals) and for repair to a system.
Permits are required for the following:
1) Residential lots consisting of less than (<3) three acres.
2) REsidential lots adjoining the Lake of the Ozarks, regardless of size.
3) Residential lots with more than one single-family residence.
4) Commercial/Business development with sewage flows less than (<) 3000 gpd.
5) Multi-family residential development.
701.046 Modification or major repair to an on-site sewage disposal system, requirements-form-fee, how to set. Except as otherwise provided in section 701.031, no person may, on or after September 1, 1995, construct or make a major modification or major repair to an on-site sewage disposal system without first notifying the city, county or department and completing an application upon a form provided by the department, and submitting a fee in the amount established by the city, county or department. The fee shall be set at an amount no greater than that necessary to cover the cost to implement the state standard for on-site sewage disposal systems and the registration of contractors.
701.031 Disposal of sewage, who how exception. Property owners of all buildings where people live, work or assemble shall provide for the sanitary disposal of all domestic sewage. Sewage and waste from such buildings shall be disposed of by discharging into a sewer system regulated under chapter 644RSMO, or shall be disposed of by discharging into an on-site sewage disposal system operated as defined by rules promulgated under sections 701.025 to 701.059 of the Missouri On-site Sewage systems regulations.
The owner of a single-family residence lot consisting of three (3) acres or more, except lots adjacent to lakes operated by the Corps of Engineers or by a public utility, shall be excluded from the provisions of sections 701.025 to 701.059 and the rules promulgated thereunder, including provisions relating to the construction, operation, major modification and major repair of on-site disposal systems, when all points of the system are located in excess of ten feet from any adjoining property line and no effluent enters an adjoining property, contaminates surface waters or groundwater or creates a nuisance.
Steps to obtain an on-site septic system construction permit:
1) Soil morphology test must be performed before the system can be designed.
2) Application, design and permit fee ($150) must be turned in to the Camden County Wastewater Dept.
3) Application and design of the system will be reviewed by Wastewater Department personnel to make sure design meets minimum State and County requirements.
4) A site evaluation will be performed by a County Wastewater Inspector prior to issuance of a permit.
5) If application and design meet minimum requirements and all setback distances can be met a permit will be issued.
6) If the required setback distances cannot be met, variances must be requested. The Wastewater department will be responsible for submitting an application for variances to the Variance Board. Variance board meets 2nd and 4th Wednesday of every month.
7) Upon approval of requested variances, a permit will be issued for construction of the system.
8) Permits are good for one (1) year from date of issuance.
9) The system must be installed by an installer who is registered with the County Wastewater Department and the MO Department of Health.
Wastewater Department hours are Monday – Friday 8am – 4pm 573-317-3810.